Within the Kaikoura District, your clients will find some of the most breath-taking scenery in the country with a stunning coastline, a dramatic peninsula and some of the South Island’s highest mountains close to the ocean.
Kaikoura has a rich Maori and European history widespread throughout the township. Stroll along the esplanade to the peninsula discovering sites of importance on the way. Relax at one of many quality dining establishments and sample fresh local seafood, all year round.
The best of Kaikoura
- Marine wildlife: Whale watching year round by boat, plane or helicopter. Your clients can swim the open ocean with dolphins in their natural habitat or watch from the comfort of the boat. Snorkel and swim with wild New Zealand fur seals. Enjoy an informative tour observing majestic seabirds, including up to 13 species of albatross. Watch the New Zealand fur seals at the seal colonies at Point Kean or Ohau Point.
- Fishing charters: Experience the fun of deep sea fishing in abundant waters. From 1 hour trips to full day charters, all gear is provided. Your chosen host will fillet and bag your catch ready to enjoy that evening.
- Sea kayaking: Paddle around the Kaikoura Peninsular with experienced guides. The eco-friendly tours offer a safe, enjoyable trip; encounters with seals and chance with dolphins.
- Walking and tramping: Kaikoura offers an array of coastal and alpine walks varying from half an hour to three days. The stunning Peninsula Walkway starts at a natural seal colony at Point Kean and offers amazing views on a well-maintained track with interpretation panels on the way. Mount Fyffe summit reaches 1602m above sea level, boasting panoramic vistas and is an approx. eight hours return trip from the car park.
- Mountain biking: Ride from Kaikoura to the Mount Fyffe car park on single track and gravel road through pine forests and along riverbanks. The trail is well signposted – keep an eye out for the Kaikoura Cycling Club bike symbol for direction.
- Relaxation: Soak up the atmosphere in relaxed fashion. Enjoy an ocean sunrise walking along the esplanade and retire in the evening to a snow-capped mountain sunset. Enjoy a coffee, lunch or dinner at one of many quality dining establishments all within walking distance.